- The ambition gap – current reduction pledges are only 60% of what is needed. We need more countries signed up, and tougher targets.
- The transparency gap – we need stronger rules on "MRV" (Measurement, Reporting and Verification). Everyone has to be sure that countries are delivering on their commitments. Transparency and common, clear accounting rules are key for that.
- The cost-efficiency gap – all emitters, including developing countries in line with their capacities, need new market mechanisms to make mitigation as cost-efficient as possible.
- The coverage gap – we need to act in additional sectors like agriculture or international air and maritime transport.
- The finance gap - Instruments that catalyse investment are an essential part of a future global agreement. The important work of G20 Finance Ministers should feed into the Durban discussions.